Saturday, February 8, 2014

Type Preview: Ghost

The Ghost type went from three Pokemon in Gen I to quite a few dual types that make it quite potent in a run such as this. XY has given them a few new tricks - immunity to trap moves, and an auto-Smoke Ball element that makes their Speed issues less of a concern.

That's good, because calling most Ghosts that aren't Gengar "slow as balls" would be an insult to balls.

Type Effectiveness
Attacking: Super-effective on Ghost and Psychic, Dark resists, Normal no-sells.
Defending: Double damage from Dark and Ghost, half damage from Bug and Poison, immune to Normal and Fighting. Foresight/moves of that type can remove the immunities.

Dual types
Steel, Bug, Flying, Ground, Poison, Grass, Electric, Dark, and Ice are accessible. Water is locked out by Pokemon Bank, as is Dragon.

Probable Final Team
Honedge/Doublade/Aegislash: The first or second Ghost I'll find comes in on Route 6 and immediately goes to town with a massive attack stat, helped by good type coverage. Only problem will be finding a Dusk Stone - I'll be doing a lot of Super Training in this run, so that will help.

Golett/Golurk: The Iron Giant provides powerful Ground moves and the ability to Fly. Is this awesome (Y/N)?

Haunter/Gengar: Well, it's the only Mega Evolution I'll have to work with - and the stone's accessible in game. Awwww yeah. Wide variety of types to work with, but will I have Sludge Bomb when I need it?

Phantump/Trevenant: A lot of the good Ghosts come late, and I wanted to use this in my infamous 3 team Y run but couldn't find a slot  for it. Helps with a Water resist.

Litwick/Lampent/Chandelure: Why do I torture myself with Litwick and Lampent, especially when the Dusk Stone comes so late unless I abuse the Super Training? Because Chandelure often goes on runs where it doesn't faint for several hours with that insane SA and good-enough Speed.

Froslass: I've never used this Pokemon, but its stats look great in theory. And I need something for the Dragon E4.

Major Battle Expectations
Viola: Not applicable.
Grant: Honedge might be Doublade by now, and it and Golett both resist Rock.
Korrina: lol
Ramos: I should have Drifblim, and he'll have Fly at worst.
Clemont: Hi Golett/Golurk, have fun.
Valerie: Sylveon could cause problems if I can't get a Poison move on Gengar or a Steel move on Doublade.
Olympia: Lunch time!
Wulfric: Well equipped to handle the gym with the dual types.
Elite 4 and Champion: No real trouble spots except for maybe the Aegislash mirror match and the champ's Gardevoir.
Team Flare: Houndoom will cause some problems, and Gengar's going to have to outrun MegaGyarados before it can start Crunching the team to death.

Trainer
On each run, I'll have an appropriately named player character and will try to theme the clothing appropriately. For the Ghost run, my character will be named Caitlin, after the character you play as in 2013 indie PC ghost game Gone Home. She returns home from overseas... will this run be what she did while away?

No comments:

Post a Comment