Saturday, February 15, 2014

Week 1 Complete: Badges, Shenanigans and Captures

Blogging the run every day lasted a whole four days. That's a new record for me, but Bravely Default arriving and a Nintendo Direct kind of threw a wrench into things.

Current Location: In sleep mode, having just gotten badge 7 and just about to walk into Lysandre Labs. Everyone is L45, and the team is as follows:

Aegislash - Iron Head, Shadow Sneak, Sacred Sword, Aerial Ace
- More on how I got this early below, but Heart Scales are a godsend. Doesn't have Doublade's defenses but can usually one-hit kill anyway and does a good job tanking the first hit if necessary.

Golurk - Shadow Punch, Magnitude, Fly, Strength
- Official Unofficial HM Mule, because let's face it, flying mecha rock. Magnitude is annoying in the 35% of the time it can't outdamage Bulldoze, and getting to Golurk is really annoying. But since it's evolved, it's gotten enough Atk to one-shot everything.

Sableye - Shadow Claw, Knock Off, Poison Jab, Zen Headbutt
- Provides a good backup to Golurk for Fighting types, but is the weak link on the team right now. His Attack is kind of sad and he doesn't get very powerful moves... but as the Dark-nuller, he's gotta stay.

Newbies
Gengar @ Gengarite - Lax (+Def -SpDef) - Shadow Ball, Venoshock, Thunderbolt, Dazzling Gleam
- I wasn't waiting until Frost Cave, but maybe I should have considering it took about an hour to find one, let alone one w/out a crap nature. Biggest contribution is learnng Dazzling Gleam (I'm actually shocked Chandelure can't) and of course, the Mega. In its first test, it outran the rival's Absol and one-shot it.

Trevenant - Naive - Phantom Force, Wood Leech, Dig, X-Scissor
- Between Gengar and Trevenant, I considered using an upcoming quarterly bonus to pick up a 2DS in service of the run. That's frightening. Phantom Force just came in and on first use, took out Olympia's Meowstic, so mission accomplished.

Chandelure - Timid (+Speed -Atk) - Flame Burst, Hex, Will-o-Wisp, Memento
- If I ever use Memento, it's going to be a botch that would make Maffew blush. Another one where I'm glad I got the Dusk Stones early, because WoW + Hex = base 130 Ghost damage.

Gyms 5 and  6 were incredibly rough - it took about 10 soft resets before I figured out how to get rid of Clemont's Emolga. (Start with Drifblim, switch to Golett to null Volt Switch, Rock Tomb until dead). Magnezone hits like a truck and Heliolisk was about 4-5 levels higher so it was one-shotting Golett with Grass Knot. Valerie wasn't as bad, Haunter's Venoshock won a damage race with a SYLVEON, of all things.

I decided I would get the Dusk Stones out of Super Training - thanks to Pokemon Bank, I was able to haul in a ringer and blast through the Secret Super Training in about a half hour. The frustrating part was putting up personal bests in the Aegislash match - I got to a 2:23.6 at one point - and getting Soda Pop. But I'm not using Lampent if I can avoid it, and being able to put Sacred Sword on at ten levels early was a huge move to get away from Rock Smash.

No comments:

Post a Comment