Saturday, June 21, 2014

So what now?

Let's flash back to the original purpose of the project - to give me experience with using every single type so I could write a single-type challenge FAQ. As it turns out, I'm going to have some spare time next week, so in between clearing out a backlog of games that's built up in the 133 days of this project and travelling, I'm going to actually get that thing written.

That's the easy part. Now, I'm definitely going to take a few weeks off from actually playing through X repeatedly, because at this point I basically have the game memorized. There's something still single-type related for me to work on though - the oft-discussed "Bugs Only" run in the Singles Battle Maison. Galvantula, Heracross and Crustle await as I aim for a Goldbergian run with a bunch of high stat bug Pokemon - just have one round of ST and some light grinding to do and we'll be ready to start that.

But as for challenge-running Pokemon - the main reason I keep doing it is to give me something to keep me sane at work. And that's still going to continue in a few weeks. Quite frankly, I've enjoyed having the pressure of channeling my inner Pete Davison and having something to blog daily (or close to it).

Some of the challenges that have been proposed to me, or I've thought of doing:
- An "all-star" run comprising my favorite Pokemon from the mono-type challenge. The hard part in doing this is that I set the restrictions on myself of no duplicated types (which sucks, because I *really* want to use Gardevoir and Azumarill together again... sounds like that'd be fun for my Aqua Sapphire game, actually), one Pokemon per generation (god, gen 2 sucks in this regard) and only one ingame Mega (which I'm pretty sure is Aerodactyl).

- A Nuzlocke run (never done this before)

- A Eevee-run (as proposed by Zach Miller over at Nintendo World Report) - the question then becomes how long do I put up with Umbreon's inability to attack before I panic and send a spare Eevee to Y for immediate Leafeonage

- A happy-evolvers only run (proposed by my Nintendo Free Radio cohost Stephen Shook) which will get hilariously broken really quickly (XY Pokemon available: Lucario, Azumarill, Crobat, Snorlax, technically Raichu)

- A Bidoof-only run (proposed by my brother) which will happen shortly after a Gold/Silver version that doesn't suck

So yeah,, I've got some options. Of course, this becomes moot in late November/early December anyway because then Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire hit, and there's no way in hell they're adding enough Pokemon to the base game to make a repeat of the type-only runs feasible. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment